Thursday, September 8, 2011

religion-related PKD Quotes from Selected Letters 1980-1982


(image from 18th century grimoire "The Key of Hell"

I wrote an outline of a new novel last month in which I combined Heidegger with early Hebrew concepts of monotheism - a daring effort on my part since Heidegger was a Nazi and totally rejected the idea of God, and, most of all, the Hebrew deity. The outline ran 80 pages.

There is no universe as such; there is a pluriverse or multiverse; I mean, each person has his own unique universe, so there are as many universes as there are conscious foci.

In a sense there is nothing actually out there but a field that each of us participates in and shapes; what it is in itself we can never know because we can never exclude our own consciousness from the equation.

My theory is that our Will (which lies outside our consciousness) creates a field that becomes part of the external reality field to form a single seamless field, and it is this field that we experience when we experience reality; viz: our Will is a component which cannot be excluded.

In 1974 I had an encounter with supernatural reality that gives implications that the world is not what we think it is - and, what is more, God is not what we think He is; hence I wrote VALIS.

I am that man who once knew Christ, sort of, as traces of light in the alley and a faint breeze rustling the weeds.

As to my exegesis, I wrote THE END on it and then kept right on writing.
. . .Christianity has no room for former lives.

I guess someone who spends all his waking time studying about Brahmanism and neo-Platonism has as much need for one hundred thousand dollars as a polar bear has for golf clubs.

I remember coming here (Christ this sounds nuts!) from the stars.
Am I then to go out and say, "I am here from the stars, part of an immortal group of secret revolutionaries, and we are all living in a vast but invisible prison; we are in fact enslaved? And then, when this underground wins, we will live in a Palm Tree Garden under the rule of Christ." Well, if you talk like that you are absolutely crazy.
The issue here is love, joy, intoxication, marriage, and the birth of the divine child. I experienced this. I felt its birth in my mind - in fact my brain. I had a name for it; I called him "Firebright".

VALIS resembled Ubik in that VALIS arranged physical reality into information. . .
. . .he loves us for what we are, our unique and individual essences, in the face of which he will bend the entire universe, rather than infringe on that uniqueness.

It's too bad I can't go to a priest or a minister with these matters, but I have done so in the past, and, as Ali McGraw says in the movie "Just Tell Me What You Want", they "can't tell tit from twat," which is not a very nice way of putting it, but nonetheless it is so.

. . .it's strange the thoughts that come to you very late at night. . .
In March 1974 I seemed. . .to be able to distinguish an invading life form here of such an advanced nature that I took it to be Christ or God.

I am convinced that God exists but when someone asks me to define God I find that I cannot (I can't define science fiction either, but I am equally sure it exists).

Everyone I know seems to be caught in a karmic trap, which they only dimly discern; they have a sense of mounting helplessness and desperation, and I feel for them.

I got really ripped on some good grass a week ago and realised that I missed Jesus and I would never be happy until I saw him again.
I just reread VALIS in its entirety. I now understand.

Dante is our guide; the solution to the mystery of our corporeal existence, our servitude, lies in the COMMEDIA, yet everyone assumes it has to do with the next world; we read it and do not recognise our condition.

My God; the world I write about is hell. Literally.

The intelligible idea in the mind of God that is Philip K. Dick required that this happen. Without you and your help it never would have happened.

I seem to be saying in the trilogy that while no single human can be Christos, humans collectively can be.

VALIS depicts hell and I would not recommend it, really.

I have known a bishop; I have known a judge; I have known a junky. . .and the junky was the most humane - and in a sense the most human - of them all.

Meanwhile I work away at my type C writing, convinced that I decyphered some of the universe's master screts. It's a good feeling.

John Allegro says somewhere that as long ago as Sumer the most touching belief held by the people of that early age was that when the time came for the great Crossing, the person's god took him by the hand and held his hand through the journey. . .this is the basis of it all, and to hell with doctrine and dogma.

quotes borrowed from Palmer Eldritch's helpful site
http://palmereldritch.co.uk/pkd/index.asp?works=12&id=55

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. I've never had the opportunity to view any of the PKD Letters.

    ReplyDelete